Sunday, October 10, 2010

Candy Bar to a Stranger

As stated by Shayne Clarke himself, "this weekend's assignment is to buy a coke for a stranger and then to write about it in your blogs."  Well, here I am.  And, I am proud to report that it was a success.  After we were assigned this homework, I immediately began looking for opportunities to complete the task at hand.  Initially, I found myself fairly busy and didn't really stumble upon any positive-looking situations.  Also, there seems to be a limited supply of Coca-Cola on BYU's campus which didn't help things at all.  The time went by and seemed to speed up as the week went on.  Eventually, Saturday night came and I still hadn't accomplished my goal.  I found myself at a BYU women's soccer that night when I remembered what I was supposed to do.  Todd was with me and he hadn't done it yet either.  So, he ran down to the concession stand, but they were closed.  Sunday came which made it harder to purchase anything.  Luckily, I found a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup candy bar in the kitchen and immediately knew that that was what I was going to give to the stranger.  Sunday night rolled around and I went to the apartment next door for a 10/10/10 at 10:10 p.m. party.  It was there that I met her.  She was a lovely young lady with blonde hair.  I started talking with her and told her that I wanted to give her a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.  Without hesitating, she accepted.  Success!  She thanked me and let me know that that is her favorite candy bar.  We continued to talk and realized that we both know Breck Laing, one of my good buddies.  Apparently, her roommate dated him for a time.  It is definitely a small world, especially on this BYU campus.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I should have resorted to a piece of candy...way more successful and much less awkward. Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest always having a stash of chocolate once you get married. A candy bar to an angry wife makes a happy home.

    ReplyDelete